United Nations has called on
businesses, governments, and
civil society to achieve Sustainable
Energy for All by 2030
A wide-range of employment opportunities exist at our member organizations. Find the job in our dynamically growing, integrated network that’s right for you.
Humanitarian Intern, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves (Alliance) is a public-private partnership hosted by the UN Foundation that seeks to save lives, improve livelihoods, empower women, and protect the environment by creating a thriving global market for clean and efficient household cooking solutions. Its ambitious but achievable goal is to foster the adoption of clean cookstoves and fuels in 100 million households by 2020.
The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves seeks a summer intern to support the Senior Director for Gender and Humanitarian Programs and her team. This individual will contribute to the Alliance’s efforts to ensure displaced and crisis affected persons have access to clean and efficient cooking solutions.
- Assist with background research on clean cooking in humanitarian situations and related topics for grant proposals, communications material, and other needs.
- Provide logistical support for international humanitarian energy events and workshops, including venue selection and travel coordination.
- Draft content for Alliance newsletter articles, web pages, and other communications material.
- Assist in maintaining the SAFE Humanitarian Working Group website (www.safefuelandenergy.org) and Twitter account (@SAFEFuelEnergy).
- Provide general support to the Alliance’s humanitarian team, including attending meetings, note taking, data entry, maintaining and updating the Alliance’s humanitarian partner list.
- Other duties as assigned
- Candidate must be enrolled in a degree-granting program during the internship or must be a recent graduate (within 8 months of graduation) of a college or university with a demonstrated interest in the UN and international development.
- Candidate should have strong writing skills. Proficiency with copy editing preferred.
- Candidate should have a demonstrated interest in humanitarian aid, energy access, and/or international development.
- Candidate should have some familiarity with website editing and social media. Proficiency with Adobe Fireworks preferred.
- Candidate should have strong research, analysis, and presentation skills. Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint preferred.
- Candidate should be a team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Candidate should be a self-starter and demonstrate initiative to learn new things.
The United Nations Foundation offers unpaid full and part-time internships. Interns should be able to start in late June.
SOLAR SISTER Communications Associate
Solar Sister is looking for a Communications Associate to lead the management and execution of the Solar Sister’s comprehensive internal and external communications strategy. The individual will report to the Chief Collaborations Officer, with dotted line reporting to the CEO. Communications will need to align with organizational goals particularly in grant development, grant reporting and fundraising.
Our ideal candidate will bring a strong communications and design background with a proven track record of results and demonstrated capabilities. This position is full time and is based in Washington, DC with some travel to the countries where we are working in Africa.
- Brand creation and oversight
- Develop messages consistent with our mission
- Develop content and disseminate across all channels
- Design and oversee production of all marketing collateral
- Consult on external presentations, correspondence, speeches
- Proactively manage media relations
- Secure, coordinate and optimize speaking opportunities with management team and leverage these for maximum impact
- Maintain and update the Solar Sister website
- Interview solar sister entrepreneurs based in Africa
- Support fundraising efforts on social media and web-based platforms
- Create and track marketing metrics aligned with enterprise goals
- BA in Communications preferred; Focus on Marketing and PR a plus
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Superior organizational skills and time management
- Microsoft and Adobe Suites
- Graphic design familiarity
- Demonstrated experience with new and traditional media channels
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently
- Team-oriented and flexible
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include 3 writing samples and links to relevant examples of social media and design work. Application deadline: May 19th, 2017.
GOGLA Regional Representative for East-Africa
The off-grid lighting and appliances industry has experienced rapid market growth in the last years and provided millions of households living beyond the electrical grid with life transforming access to energy. Despite the industry’s efforts and success, 1.2 billion people still lack basic access to energy. The Global Off-Grid Lighting Association (GOGLA) acts as the industry advocate supporting the industry in growing and strengthening the market for clean, quality off-grid lighting and electrical systems. With its advocacy and communication work, GOGLA seeks to realize international recognition for the benefits of off-grid lighting and sector-wide industry support.
The regional representative will a) help deliver GOGLA’s advocacy messages and sector support activities on a regional level and b) will help national and regional level industry actors to improve their coordination and enable industry to speak with a more harmonized and forceful voice.
- Representation of industry interests and advocacy
- Member coordination
- Liaise with existing and new partners
- Contribute to the development of ‘content’ for advocacy or sector support work by providing local perspectives on questions around enabling environment, access to finance, business development, and quality assurance
- A high level of passion for GOGLA’s mission and objective
- A minimum of five years progressively responsibly experience in the field of international business development; working experience with an industry association is highly desirable; experience in policy and advocacy work is a requirement
- Excellent and proven networking, communication, and presentation skills in English and Kiswahili; command of other regional African languages is considered an asset
For the full job description and info on how to apply, click here
Short-Term Communications Consultant (STC), Lighting Asia with the International Finance Corporation
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our six decades of experience to create opportunity where it’s needed most. In FY16, our long-term investments in developing countries rose to nearly $19 billion, leveraging our capital, expertise and influence to help the private sector end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity.
IFC’s Lighting Asia is seeking a seasoned communications specialist to devise and implement a comprehensive regional communications strategy.
- Drafting articles, opinion pieces, blogs, case studies, press releases, and other written materials;
- Securing photos, videos and other multimedia material from the field—not directly, but taking a leadership role in drafting TORs, procuring agencies, advising them, ensuring deliverables are met and supervising the process;
- Media relations, outreach and placements in national and regional outlets online and in-print;
- Creating and managing a year-round content, event and communication calendar.
- Media Relations
- Digital Engagement
- Reputational Risk Management
- At least 8 to 10 years of relevant work experience in marketing, communications, or media relations specifically in the private sector, a large institutional environment and/or multilateral institution focused on international development, energy access or related topics. Prior experience as a journalist is highly valued.
- Superior verbal, writing, and research/analytical skills. Able to produce written materials including press releases, op-eds and other content relatively quickly while coordinating their publication and pitches with communication counterparts at Lighting Global and IFC Corporate.
- Ability to think strategically, capitalizing on moments of opportunity throughout the year to showcase, promote and highlight the work of Lighting Asia nationally, regionally and internationally.
- Strong multimedia experience in terms of procuring or capturing photos, videos and other materials that document events, interviews and other activities for broader awareness and promotion.
Please submit the below to Rahim Kanani, Communications Lead for Lighting Global, at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, March 13. Please use the subject “Application: Lighting Asia Communications Consultancy”.
- Cover letter of no more than 1 page
- 3-4 writing samples (articles, press releases or otherwise)
For full job description, click here.