United Nations has called on
businesses, governments, and
civil society to achieve Sustainable
Energy for All by 2030
CEMG News – June 2016
Navigant Research has noted as of the second quarter of 2016 that the remote microgrid segment has a growing dominance in the microgrid market, showing increasing visibility in the Middle East and African region as well as the Latin American and Asia Pacific regions.
El Hierro is a frequently cited example for renewable integration on islands, but microgrid expert Martin Baart “couldn’t disagree more”. He argues that the project didn’t present a viable business case, the duration of the project was unreasonable, the technologies used were conservative, and the goals weren’t achieved.
Caterpillar became the latest big infrastructure company to unveil a microgrid play with the recent launch of its hybrid microgrid into the global market. The Cat hybrid technology combines solar, energy storage and fossil fuels and will focus on projects 10 kW to 100 MW.
Energy project developers are just beginning to see the advantages of bypassing the old and “messy” electricity infrastructure in favor of clean, smart microgrids in developing countries. That was one of Haresh Patel’s observations about the information gleaned from developers for its latest Mercatus Global Advanced Energy Insights Report. The report also found that renewable energy projects in emerging markets are yielding 28 percent higher returns than in North America and Europe.
- Engie Seeks to Tap Off-Grid Solar to Power Millions in Africa
- AfDB’s SE4ALL Africa Hub to Support Green Mini-Grid Developers
- Remote-Controlled Energy Kiosks & Microgrids in the Congo of Africa
- SunFunder Closes $15 Million Round to Finance Local Off-Grid Solar Companies in Africa
- Kenya: Solar Firm Seeks Nod to Challenge Kenya Power Monopoly
- Kenya: World Bank Urges Africa to use Mini-grids to Boost Electricity Access
- Madagascar: Fluidic Energy Signs Agreement for Mini-grid Electricity Project to help 100 African Villages
- Nigeria: Solar-Nigeria Project is Looking to Electrify 2.8m People
- Rwanda: Tesvolt to Supply a Decentralised Power System
- Rwanda: Rural Areas Expect 100 Solar PV Mini-Grids Under Climate Action Plan
- Senegal: How Viable are Mini-Grids in Senegal?
- Tanzania: JUMEME to Implement Solar Mini-Grid Project in Tanzania
- Zambia: Mini-Grids Case Study
- Zambia: Rural Electrification Agency Electrifies 480 Samfya Houses Using Solar Mini-grid Technology
- Bangladesh: Remote Islands Getting Mini-Solar Power Grids
- India: How Private Mini-grids Can End the Darkness of Rural India
- India: India Gets Serious About Microgrids
- India: NextGen organizes workshop on ‘Off-grid renewable energy solutions: A CSR opportunity’
- India: Social Enterprise Co. Plans to Install 4,000 Solar Microgrids in India
- India: Plan Proposed to Install 10,000 Mini-Grids
- Indonesia: Italy’s Enel and Indonesian Utility Company Signed MOU to Cooperate on Sustainable Power Generation in Indonesia
- Myanmar: Let There be Light – The Challenge of Powering Myanmar
- Pakistan: Villages Without Wires
- Canada: Govt to Pour US2.1m in Remote Renewable Microgrids
- United States: Senate Passes Bill that Supports Grid-Connected and Hybrid Microgrids