United Nations has called on
businesses, governments, and
civil society to achieve Sustainable
Energy for All by 2030
Funding Opportunities – October 2016
The Ashden Awards open for entries, Deadline November 8
Ashden is seeking entries for its 2017 International Awards, the world’s leading green energy awards. The charity wants to hear from trailblazing sustainable energy enterprises and programmes from developing countries and emerging economies that are increasing access to sustainable energy.
Entry to the awards is free, with seven international winners receiving awards totalling £130,000 at a prestigious ceremony in London on June 15, 2017. In addition to the six existing Ashden International Awards, there is a new Powering Business Award for 2017 recognising efforts by enterprises or programmes involved in agricultural, commercial or industrial activities which are using clean energy in the provision of goods or services.
Ashden is looking for pioneering enterprises and programs demonstrating achievement in any of the following areas:
- Increasing energy access for homes or businesses: Increasing energy access to those that have limited or no access by providing renewable energy products or services.
- Sustainable buildings: Improving energy use in urban buildings, including residential, commercial and public buildings.
- Developing innovative financial mechanisms or business models for delivering sustainable energy: Organizations providing innovative financial mechanisms or using innovative business to expand access to sustainable energy products or services.
- Sustainable travel: Innovative enterprises or programs that are improving access to sustainable travel, encouraging the use of more sustainable modes of travel or using technology to enable more efficient fuel use.
- Improving the lives of women and girls through sustainable energy: Enterprises or programs that are providing sustainable energy to women and girls as beneficiaries and creating employment or income-generating activities, or involving them in the supply chain. We are also interested in work benefiting refugees and internally displaced women and girls.
- Sustainable energy and water: Enterprises or programs using sustainable energy technologies to deliver increased access to safe and affordable drinking water; or water for agricultural production; or adequate and equitable sanitation and hygiene.
- Powering business: Enterprises or programs which provide or use clean energy or energy efficiency in the provision of goods and services through business activities, for example in the agricultural, commercial and industrial sectors.
Ashden also provides winners with a wide-ranging package of support, tailor-made to their needs and which could include business mentoring, sales and technical training, introductions to investors and help with communications. Read the detailed eligibility criteria and find out more about the Ashden Awards here.
The Smart Villages Off-grid Energy Challenge is seeking applications from entrepreneurs who want to grow their existing off-grid energy businesses by winning a spot in the Bridges for Enterprise program, Deadline November 21
The objective is to “bridge the gap,” helping entrepreneurs get to the stage where they are ready for commercial investment. Winning teams will work with world-class consultant mentors to build an investment proposition and learn how to access funding for their businesses.
The program is open to entrepreneurs based in West Africa with at least an existing prototype and business model. Businesses that either generate or can be powered by off-grid energy may apply.
Winning start-ups will receive:
- Training – learn business skills by working with business consultants from the world’s top companies and universities.
- Prize Capital – investment proposition will be considered for $5000 prize capital.
- Funding – direction towards additional funding sources and advice on how to access capital.
- Legal Advice – learn how to navigate the compliance issues that come with running a business.
Please visit e4sv.org/competitions to apply and read full rules and information.
The Department of Environment of Antigua and Barbuda has issued this RFP for the Procurement of a Framework Agreement for Solar Photovoltaic with Battery Storage Electric Systems and Accessories for Installations within the public, private sectors of Antigua and Barbuda; as well as this RFP for the Procurement of a Framework Agreement to design systems and purchase equipment for Wind/Diesel Hybrid and Wind only Grid Interactive Power Systems for installation within the water, health and essential services of the Government of Antigua and Barbuda.