United Nations has called on
businesses, governments, and
civil society to achieve Sustainable
Energy for All by 2030
A wide-range of employment opportunities exist at our member organizations. Find the job in our dynamically growing, integrated network that’s right for you.
Global LEAP-RBF Communications & Storytelling
Please E-MAIL submissions to Karen Nozik (firstname.lastname@example.org) with subject line “CLASP RFP 2-18: Global LEAP-RBF Communications & Storytelling”
Introduction and Background
CLASP improves the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every day, accelerating our transition to a more sustainable world.
CLASP’s significant expertise in appliance energy efficiency is increasingly relevant to the clean energy access sector. Clean energy technologies like solar home systems and renewable mini-grids make it possible for un- and under-electrified households and businesses to access modern energy services for the first time. Appropriately designed, highly energy-efficient, cost-effective products and services are essential to delivering energy services at least cost, and to scaling and accelerating global energy access efforts.
Efficient off-grid appliance technologies reduce total energy supply costs and maximize energy access, helping alleviate poverty and maximizing social and health benefits.
CLASP serves as the Operating Agent for the several programs of the Global Lighting & Energy Access Partnership (Global LEAP), an initiative of the Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM) to catalyze and support commercial markets that deliver clean energy access products and services to un- and under-electrified communities throughout the developing world.
Global LEAP+RBF is a program that provides results-based financing incentives to encourage off-grid solar companies to purchase and distribute best-in-class off-grid appliances. The purpose of these incentives is to hasten procurement of and enable clear paths to market for these appliances, as well as to foster productive long-term business relationships between off-grid solar companies and appliance suppliers. The program offers incentives to companies who sell these products to end users in Bangladesh, Kenya, Tanzania, and Rwanda.
In support of this program, CLASP must implement a robust, multi-faceted monitoring and evaluation (M&E) framework to ensure all product sales comply with donor requirements. The M&E framework will include in-person interviews with end customers in off-grid areas of Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, and Uganda. The interviews present an opportunity to capture information about the impacts of these products on the lives of people living without access to the electricity grid.
Scope of Work
CLASP seeks to engage a consultant to undertake customer interviews and produce a multimedia storytelling package that will enable CLASP to disseminate real-world impact stories among a diverse set of off-grid market stakeholders including donors, development partners, NGOs, industry representatives, and policymakers.
The consultant will work closely with the CLASP team to schedule field visits in two of the countries listed above (to be determined) and be responsible for the following tasks:
- Work closely with the CLASP team to design, deliver, and document a questionnaire and interview approach for end customers; collaborate with CLASP team and partners (e.g. off-grid solar companies, development institutions) to identify customers; coordinate visits and logistics. Customers may include shop or small business owners, including small-hold farmers and fishers / fishmongers.
- Immediately following field visits and interviews, develop narrative customer profiles for twenty (20) end customers who purchased off-grid appliance products through the Global LEAP+RBF program. These narratives should focus on the impacts of the products on their daily lives (e.g., improved safety, higher quality of life, less time spent doing household chores, educational and/or health outcomes for them and/or their families). These should include photos and videos (at least 10 edited photos per customer; at least 5 short videos (30 to 90 seconds)).
- Create video testimonials for seven distinct (7) customers interviewed for the narrative profiles, ranging in length from about 2 minutes to 5 minutes.
- Provide 50 edited photographs to CLASP of appliances in people’s homes, appliances for sale in local markets, the natural environment and local communities where interview subjects live and work.
- Work closely with the CLASP team to design, deliver and document a questionnaire and interview approach for 5 representatives of participating off-grid solar companies.
- Immediately following interviews, develop narrative profiles for all 5 representatives, with photographs (at least 3 edited photos per), videos of three representatives, ranging from 3-5 minutes long. Video content should focus on the ways in which the program benefitted their business, the relevance of off-grid appliances to their business, and perceived impact of their business to local economies and other macro perspective of benefits.
- Prepare content for web posting and general use, in coordination with CLASP.
- Share with CLASP original footage and photography files.
Reporting and Deliverables
The contractor will work closely with CLASP and other program partners to develop, implement, and deliver the deliverables laid out in the Scope of Work.
The contractor can also expect to provide occasional support to CLASP’s program reporting efforts.
CLASP anticipates that the work will commence in March 2018, and may take place across the rest of 2018. Applicants responding to this RFP should anticipate the level of effort required to span over 9 months.
Chief Operation Officer, Baobab+, Dakar, Senegal, Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire or Pairs, France
Baobab+ was launched in late 2015 by Microcred Group, a digital finance company focusing on financial inclusion in Africa and China. Baobab+ was created to distribute innovative non-financial products to improve and transform daily lives of African people in order to enable a sustainable economic development. Baobab+ is developing access to energy in West Africa (Senegal, Ivory Coast, Mali) and Madagascar, through classical loans for Microcred clients or through Pay-As-You-Go model to make the solar products accessible to all.
Our ambition is to provide clean, affordable and reliable energy to people living off-grid by offering them quality products with adapted financial solutions. Baobab+ works with different partners willing to improve social and environmental impacts in the countries.
Baobab+ is also working on access to pure water and access to digital in providing to its clients innovative water filters and digital educative tablets.
General missions :
The successful candidate will be responsible for all commercial activities, clients experience and sets the strategy and objectives with a clear focus on business development and people management to ensure sustainable growth and long term viability in a competitive environment in all Baobab+ countries..
Hierarchical superior: CEO Baobab+
– Participation in strategic and business planning processes.
– Develop and maintain departmental operational goals and strategies that are designed to fulfill the company goals.
– Developing market knowledge and commercial relationships and monitor developments in order to foster the growth of Baobab+ business with its different target groups.
– Develop and implement client acquisition and sales strategies towards the key target groups (urban micro-entrepreneurs and rural population,) for the whole range of services proposed by Baobab+ (Solar, Digital and financial inclusion).
– Ensure that consistent and transparent information on the offered services is reaching the clients through the different channels (branches, PAYG agents…).
– Ensure that all PAYG area plans are in place both in terms of the balanced scorecard and the projections.
– Launch new countries implementation in line with the global business plan
– Contributing to the improvement of the products offer and services tailored to the customers’ needs
– Report on a regular basis on the business performance and propose corrective measures when needed.
Manage and Motivate Operations Team
– Develop high performing operations team and Foster the motivation of business teams by coordinating with HR in implementing an adequate incentive and career policy.
– Ensure an adequate operational organization of the teams working throughout MC network of branches and Pay-As-You-Go agents, in order to supply the complete range of Baobab+ products to clients in accordance with business objectives.
– Develop amongst the business teams a corporate culture focused on the supply of simple, transparent and efficient services to the clients.
Group Business standardization and optimization
- Standardization and of operational reports and group consolidated reports
- Standardization and implementation of operational process in subsidiaries
- Standardization of risk analysis report and operational risk assessment with corrective measures
Any other duties assigned by the superior in furtherance of business objectives
The successful Candidate must have :
- A bachelor degree in any numerate business related subjects Master’s degree in Economics, Management, business development, marketing or equivalent.
- At least 7 years’ experience as a practitioner in sales and distribution or similar environment in Africa.
- General knowledge of a wide range of BOP (Bottom of pyramid) products and services
- Advanced knowledge of product retail and customer care operations
- Ability to meet reporting expectations of the Board, investors and statutory bodies
- Excellent decision making skills
- Strong leadership and team building skill and experience with the ability to develop and maintain a Management team
- Excellent organization, delegation, performance management, administration, analytical, influencing, negotiation and time management skills
The job should be based at Dakar (Sénégal), Abidjan (Côte d’Ivoire) or Paris.
Status: Long-term contract with Baobab+ Holding
Contact: Please send your C.V. and cover letter with the following reference BB+/COO/ Holding
Senior Operations Engineer, Rafiki Power, Arusha, Tanzania
Contract term: 12-24 months, starting at earliest availability
Location: Arusha, Tanzania
Working hours: Full time
Reports to: Microgrids Operations Manager
Rafiki Power is a German company that operates in Tanzania. It is a vibrant and dynamic start-up company that consists of an international team bringing off-grid energy to rural locations in East Africa. We develop, engineer, finance and operate sites in developing world communities as well as provide reliable backup to business customers in the region.
- Provide clear engineering leadership in the definition and resolution of technical issues as they occur.
- Support Operations team locally with detailed technical issues and queries as requested and required regularly locally
- Where appropriate define and implement new processes and ways of working to ensure learnings are captured and to ensure future issues are avoided.
- Where necessary travel to sites to undertake maintenance activities and troubleshooting
- Liaise with contractors to ensure work is delivered on time and to the required, high standards.
- Undertake detailed testing and analysis of new engineering solutions (Mechanical, Electrical and electronic to test for robustness and applicability to the local environment
- Good university degree in science, engineering or similar and a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
- Technical knowledge in energy systems, preferably involving solar PV, batteries and diesel generation is required
- Hands-on experience in electrical power systems or similar technical field is required.
- Experience managing contractors and working with external parties
- Ability to identify a problem, define how a problem is to be resolved and to see the resolution carried out all independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary, international team in multiple locations
- Fluent in English, in speech and writing. Swahili in addition is preferred.
- Familiar with Tanzanian / East African cultures; work experience in Tanzania or neighbouring countries preferred
- Must hold a valid driver’s license ·
Bonus Skills and qualifications:
- Entrepreneurial thinking and excellent communication skills as well as strong team orientation
- Experience in managing a team or direct line management a plus.
If interested, please submit your cover letter and CV with references to email@example.com with the subject “Application for Senior Engineer”.
Senior Director of Renewable Energy, PACT, Washington DC, USA
The Senior Director, Renewable Energy (SDRE) provides leadership for Pact’s newest Signature Program, working with companies, foundations, governments and people to expand access to energy within the communities Pact serves. The SDRE will oversee implementation of the initial Program strategy, review, assess and improve the Program strategy over time, and be accountable for achieving the goals of the Program.
The SDRE will lead all related efforts including, fundraising, donor relations, and partnerships for Pact’s work in the Renewable Energy sector, and will be responsible for developing and leading a network of staff around the world that can provide technical assistance, and quality oversight of all Renewable Energy projects, in close coordination with professionals across the organization.
As a leader in the organization, the SDRE will serve as a champion for Pact’s broader transformation efforts. While honoring Pact’s deep commitment to community partnerships and the trust of communities, the SDRE will pursue new opportunities along the renewable energy value chain that result in traditional contracts and grants or new business models such as social enterprises and joint ventures.
The SDRE, will ensure that Pact evolves and adapts its technical capabilities not only to keep abreast of opportunities, regulations, actors, and best practices in the renewable energy sector but also to position Pact as a thought and practice leader in the field of Renewable Energy and integrated development.
Ensure the Signature Program is delivered on time, on budget, and on target.
Help identify key personnel (draft JDs, review CVs, conduct interviews, etc.) as needed.
Support implementation of the Signature Program portfolio by sourcing consultants, interviewing program staff as relevant, developing or reviewing SoWs/ToRs, and reviewing reports and project documentation.
Contribute to due diligence to ensure Pact’s engagement with potential corporate partners is appropriate.
Lead a robust internal community of practice that ensures continuous learning across field offices as well as across all levels of Pact.
Ensure that integrated programming is maximized for impact and documented across Pact. Share global best practices with project staff on regular basis using multiple communications channels and mechanisms.
Strategy and Business Development
Lead fundraising efforts for the Signature Program and work in close coordination with Corporate Engagement and Business Development to identify and retain donors.
Represent and promote Pact’s technical capabilities and programming at donor meetings, internal events and national/international conferences.
Serve as an organization-wide expert on Renewable Energy, networking with donors to gather intelligence on up-coming funding opportunities, responding to donor questions, and presenting Pact’s work within the Signature Program to donors, when appropriate.
Forge corporate partnerships at the programmatic level, building on Pact’s existing relationships, and by identifying new potential partners.
Periodically review and revise the Signature Program strategy to incorporate lessons learned, and provide periodic updates to the Board of Directors and senior management.
Thought Leadership and Technical Assistance
Provide technical assistance to field offices so that they are able to pursue renewable energy related projects with a high degree of autonomy, and are equipped to meet donor expectations.
Serve as a subject matter expert, overseeing the technical design of proposed projects by multi-disciplinary teams within Pact’s Program Advancement group to ensure that all relevant proposals are technically sound, and capitalize on Pact’s local knowledge and relationships.
Participate in scoping trips, proposal design meetings, and support recruitment of project-specific partners.
Provide intellectual leadership to Pact and externally by staying abreast of trends and research findings regarding corporate responsibility, regulatory frameworks, industry standards and best practices, and disseminate key information to country offices and relevant communities of practice.
Document and disseminate case studies externally – in writing and through conference participation.
Oversee the development of articles, reports, and communications materials for delivery to the general public and specific audiences through multiple media channels.
Provide technical support and ongoing oversight to projects in the Renewable Energy portfolio to ensure program quality.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related field such as business, economics, international relations, or engineering. Post-graduate degree preferred.
- 15 years of experience working in international development, renewable energy development/finance, and/or corporate responsibility (6 years of experience if candidate has a Master’s or higher degree).
- Demonstrated expertise in the renewable energy industry and/or with innovative business models, and an accomplished thought leader with a track record of published papers or articles, and/or speaking engagements on an international basis.
- Strong experience with strategic planning, budget development and monitoring, financial analysis, development of metrics, and reporting.
- Excellent management and leadership skills, with a track record of leading multi-disciplinary and cross-functional teams on a global basis. High proficiency in supervising staff, including providing honest feedback and meaningful development opportunities.
- Experience with fundraising including: foundations, corporations, and individual gifts.
- Ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with Pact staff, donors, local partners, host governments and other implementing organizations.
- Documented success in raising philanthropic capital from various donors, including national agencies, foundations, and/or corporations.
- Knowledge and understanding of donor policies and regulations including corporate giving and partnership mechanisms (both philanthropy and business-case engagement).
- Excellent written and oral communications, including strong public speaking and presentation skills.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office programs.
Ability and willingness to travel up to 30% of the time in diverse cultural environments.
Please see https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/479482833/ for more details.
SME Advisor, Energy 4 Impact, Nairobi, Kenya; Kigali, Rwanda; Kampala, Uganda and Dar-es-salaam, Tanzania
This role is within Advisory Services, a Nairobi-based team of professionals from a range of private sector backgrounds including investment banking and private equity, management consulting, law, entrepreneurship, infrastructure project development, micro-finance and engineering.
Our clients are primarily based in East Africa and range in the stage of their development from ideation/pre-pilot to scale-up. We work with companies employing a range of business models and technologies. Many are developing small-scale assets for power generation and distribution (e.g. through mini-grids) using solar, biomass gasification, or hydropower, while others produce or distribute solar lights or home systems, clean cook-stoves or biomass-based fuels.
Academic Qualification & Experience
· 5-7 years of experience in energy project development, operations, or financing; or experience in early-stage entrepreneurship
· 5-7 years of experience in management or strategic consulting or financial advisory
· Experience as an early-stage business building as an entrepreneur, investor (PE/VC/impact investing), or other service provider e.g. incubation.
· 2-3 years experience working with mini-grids project developers
Energy 4 Impact works to alleviate poverty in Africa through increased access to sustainable, renewable energy. To achieve this goal, we support the development and growth of privately owned micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (mSMEs) which deliver renewable energy products and services to the poor, mainly in rural and peri-urban areas. We do this by advising mSMEs on business and technical matters and enabling them to secure the financing and resources they require. For more information, please go to www.energy4impact.org/jobs.