United Nations has called on
businesses, governments, and
civil society to achieve Sustainable
Energy for All by 2030
A wide-range of employment opportunities exist at our member organizations. Find the job in our dynamically growing, integrated network that’s right for you.
Senior Energy Advisor, Practical Action; Dakar, Senegal
The West Africa Senior Energy Advisor will support Practical Action Regional Leadership in the development of our energy work in West Africa, including managing projects, providing technical inputs, contributing to secure new work, building the network of associates, line-managing staff and facilitating joint working with Practical Action’s other regional and country offices in Africa and UK. As a member of the Practical Action global energy team the role will contribute to development of PA’s energy thematic work worldwide.
To apply for this role please email a copy of your CV and covering letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Energy Efficiency Program Manager; Association of Energy Services Professionals (AESP); Chicago, IL/Madison, WI
Seventhwave is a nonprofit, mission-driven organization taking on the complex issues surrounding equitable sustainability, better buildings and the clean energy future. Our team has a passion for pushing the envelope and developing new program offerings for hard to reach markets. Customers engage us because they trust our reputation for technical expertise, scientific approach and proven solutions that provide real energy savings for real impacts across local, regional and national initiatives.
Seventhwave is seeking an experienced energy efficiency program manager to support the development of new program offerings for clients in the Upper Midwest and across the country. This position can be located in either our Madison headquarters or Chicago office.
- Key account management working closely with utility client personnel to monitor program results delivering high quality work on time and on budget.
- Develop and scale up new energy efficiency program offerings for utility clients.
- Lead program-level decision-making and guide future program strategy.
- Educate program participants as to energy conservation and efficiency opportunities along with the options, costs, and benefits.
- Lead program budget planning, cost tracking and forecasting activities.
- Oversee the development of program performance tracking and reporting systems.
- Conduct QA/QC of program processes and protocols, offering design improvements and recommendations.
- Develop and manage relationships with project partners, vendors and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to Seventhwave’s business development efforts, including proposal-writing, relationship-building and public presentations.
Seventhwave is a mission-driven nonprofit dedicated to advancing innovative strategies for real energy impacts through engineering, education and research. We implement award-winning energy efficiency programs that offer innovative approaches to address today’s energy challenges. Our organization is headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin, with a growing team in Chicago, Illinois. We provide a challenging, stimulating work environment that prizes collaboration and work-life balance.
Seventhwave provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, arrest or conviction record or any other basis provided by applicable law.
- Bachelor’s degree in arts, science or engineering.
- At least 5 years of energy efficiency program management experience.
- Previous success and expertise in program design, implementation and delivery.
- Proven project management skills including development and execution of work plans, schedules and budgets.
- Excellent problem-solving ability.
- Experience with meeting contractual obligations and delivering high quality results to clients.
- Ability to analyze, manipulate, and present data effectively in reports, presentations and informal communications.
- Effective verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to listen and convey information effectively to individuals or groups.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate with others, motivate teams, and maintain good relationships with clients.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated connection and commitment to Seventhwave’s mission.
Apply online at www.seventhwave.org/jobs
Coordinator, Clean Energy Access; CLASP; Washington, DC
CLASP is seeking experienced and motivated professionals with an interest and/or background in energy access, international development, policy, and/or engineering to help us execute our portfolio of clean energy access initiatives.
Central among these is an ambitious new research and innovation program known as Low-Energy Inclusive Appliances (LEIA), which focuses on accelerating off- and weak-grid markets for highly efficient appliances. LEIA is funded by the United Kingdom’s Department for International Development and will support a suite of high-impact market development, technical, policy, research, and innovation interventions.
Importantly, LEIA will support a variety of existing energy access programs, including but not limited to:
- The Efficiency for Access (E4A) Coalition: Initially a year-long awareness-raising campaign by Global LEAP, the E4A Coalition is being extended and expanded to function as the coordinating framework and knowledge hub for LEIA as well as efforts by affiliated partner organizations. The E4A Coalition is being envisioned as a partnership of like-motivated development and donor institutions collaborating on policy, market, and research activities and interventions, as well as a coordinating, convening, and knowledge-sharing platform for non-donor stakeholders and partners.
- The Lighting Global Quality Assurance Framework: This is a highly effective third-party certification and market development program for off-grid lighting products, including solar lanterns and solar home system kits.
- The Global LEAP Off-Grid Appliance Data Platform: This program is a rather straightforward but high-impact effort to test off-grid appliances according to international laboratory best practices, aggregate and share the data, and work with global stakeholders, including investors, policymakers, manufacturers, and purchasers, to interpret and use the data.
- The Global LEAP Awards & Off-Grid Appliance Procurement Incentives Program: This program couples the Global LEAP Outstanding Off-Grid Appliance Awards with results-based financing procurement incentives to drive best-in-class appliances into emerging off-grid markets. The program also features a variety of other market development activities, such as policy technical assistance and market research, and a robust monitoring and evaluation framework. The program launched in 2016 in Bangladesh, and it is expanding to East Africa in Autumn 2017.
The Coordinators will work as part of a dynamic international team to contribute to the success of LEIA and related initiatives. They will work collaboratively with CLASP team members in the United States, Bangladesh, East Africa, India, and Europe, as well as a wide network of international partners and program stakeholders. They will help to create, measure, and report LEIA/E4A programmatic impacts, and will be responsible for a wide and diverse range of activities related to the development and execution of programmatic, organizational, and energy access goals.
The ideal candidates will be able to demonstrate skill and success in some of the following areas: knowledge about appliance energy efficiency, enabling technologies, and product markets and supply chains as related to energy access; excellent people skills; effective project management, execution, and/or administration; coordination of productive and collegial institutional partnerships; experience contributing to effective published resources and materials; effective verbal and written communications about technical topics to both subject matter experts and laypeople; extraordinary commitment to impacts, results, and world-class work product; and a sense of humor.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Help maintain and improve program infrastructure: Collaborate with global team members on the scoping, design, and execution of a complex, fast-moving project portfolio.
- Coordinate! Collaborate! Repeat! Work with CLASP colleagues, partners, stakeholders, sub-contractors, and grantees around the world to develop and implement programs, projects, and research efforts.
- Support program outreach, communications, and reporting: Help CLASP build support among key constituents – including industry leaders, academic institutions, trade associations, government decision makers, and donor organizations – by conducting a variety of outreach and stakeholder engagement activities.
- Turn ideas into impact: Take LEIA-, E4A-, and partner-generated knowledge products, resources, and tools, and inspire and facilitate impact-oriented follow-on activity and market/program/policy action.
- Execute critical program administrative tasks: Manage day-to-day activities that ensure program impacts (e.g., develop and maintain contact databases, respond to or escalate inquiries from external stakeholders, organize video and teleconferences).
- Liaise with CLASP’s operations team: Ensure timely completion of tasks that require input or approval by the operations team (e.g., contracting, payment of invoices).
- Stay nimble and collaborative, and keep the big picture in mind: Contribute to and conduct programmatic work within the larger context of partner, sectoral, and CLASP efforts.
- 2 to 5 years of professional experience in business development and/or program administration; experience in the off-grid clean energy sector or analogous sectors preferred
- Familiarity with off-grid, rural, or emerging market product distribution and/or supply chains is ideal
- Time management and outstanding organizational skills with ability to manage multiple tasks at once
- A strong work ethic is a must
- Experience working within and collaborating across international, matrixed teams
- Entrepreneurial approach to designing and executing long-term initiatives, and proactive, nimble, and strategic approach to problem-solving
- Experience communicating for a climate, energy, or technology sector audience preferred
- Ability to translate complex technical information to industry, policy, and investor audience required
- Persuasive and effective communication skills, both verbal and written; exceptional written and spoken English a must
- An ability to help CLASP establish, build, and continually reinforce confidence in a variety of internal and external stakeholder groups will be essential to success
- Ability to work from the big picture to the small details
- Experience working with energy-consuming products, test methods, government standards, and procurement programs preferred
- Experience overseeing the work of subcontractors strongly preferred
- Ability to maintain composure, flexibility, and a sense of humor under tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal, listening, and critical thinking skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, especially Word and Excel
- Bachelor’s degree required; Graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g., engineering, international relations, development, economics, environmental science) preferred
Compensation and Location
The compensation package at CLASP is highly-competitive with international NGOs based in the United States. In addition to salary, the package includes health insurance, unlimited leave, holidays, and a retirement plan. Additionally, CLASP is committed to team members having a work-life balance through its flexible work policy. This position is full-time and based in the organization’s Washington, D.C. office.
To apply, please visit https://bit.ly/2Ifxp94
Energy Services Senior Director, PACT, Myanmar
In April, Pact will be launching Smart Power Myanmar Facility (SPMF). SPMF will be a world-class platform to accelerate national-level rural electrification and related economic development. The goal of SPMF will be to connect 5 million people to electricity over the five years. Direct and indirect support from multiple donors will facilitate the development of energy access models in Myanmar. Amongst other objectives, SPM aims to facilitate energy market growth and investments as well as the economic development by close community engagement and extensive support to the demand creation; business advisory services for local ESCOs and investors to improve energy access models; and by analysing evidence and data, lessons and expertise to ultimately provide support to government and international donors in shaping mini-grid policies and regulatory issues.
With start-up funding from Rockefeller Foundation, supported by several high-profile entities, we are currently building a team of high calibre experts to design, develop and run SPMF to provide high quality services to accelerate commercial development of energy access market in Myanmar. SPMF will sit at the nexus of the demand, supply, policy and financing of current and future electrification initiatives. Candidates will be passionate about energy as a driver of economic growth; as well as about the role of renewable energy; and will have outstanding experience and credentials in a range skills that the Facility will be expected to provide, including but not limited to policy advocacy, investment facilitation, development and demand creation at the community level, knowledge and data management. This particular position is open to highly experienced energy professionals with significant international experience from both, private and public sectors. Full expatriate package will be offered to the successful candidate.
Pact seeks a competent Energy Services Senior Director to oversee project development as well as, investment and business advisory services at SPMF. S/he will lead evaluation and procurement for mini-grid projects, and facilitate negotiations between communities, developers, and the government. S/he will support the development of new business models and strategies to accelerate investment in Myanmar’s rural energy sector. S/he will facilitate and sustain partnerships with financial institutions, investors, development finance institutions (DFIs), and the Government of Myanmar to mobilize investments and appropriate financing for off-grid energy projects. S/he will assist in developing effective business strategies for energy access and delivery models to roll out commercial initiatives for energy access in remote regions.
The Energy Services Senior Director will work closely with the Facility’s Managing Director and manage part of a small team consisting initially of energetic professionals who are results-oriented and dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in a challenging and diverse environment.
The Energy Services Senior Director will demonstrate exceptional performance in the following functional areas:
- Identify suitable sites for mini-grid development, assess the technological and economic viability of those sites, and solicit and evaluate bids from prospective developers.
- Facilitate negotiations between communities, the government of Myanmar, and prospective developers, representing the interests of communities who seek to gain access to energy.
- Engage with financial institutions and other partners to design and deploy financing mechanisms that support deployment of decentralised energy access solutions in rural Myanmar
- Facilitate partnerships between investors and private developers with investment-ready energy access projects
- Identify, analyze, advise and develop business and financial models for commercially-viable decentralised projects in the Myanmar context
- MBA or similarly appropriate academic background in finance, business, economics, or other relevant field
- At least 10 years of experience in investment/business advisory, banking and/or asset management sectors, incl. solid experience in facilitating and closing investment deals within the energy sector
- Prior experience in developing financial mechanisms/tools to accelerate investments in an under-developed sector
- Extensive knowledge of business investments environment and ability to trigger match-making between private sector and investors in infrastructure development projects
To apply, please visit https://bit.ly/2uMYxWs
Energy Demand and Economic Development Director, PACT, Myanmar
In April, Pact will be launching the Smart Power Myanmar Facility (SPMF). SPMF will be a world-class platform to accelerate national-level rural electrification and related economic development. SPMF aims to facilitate energy market growth and investments as well as economic development through community engagement and extensive support for demand creation, business advisory services for local ESCOs and investors to improve energy access models, and by analysing evidence and data. SPMF will generate knowledge and expertise that will support national and international efforts to shape mini-grid policies and create regulatory frameworks that will enable growth of the Myanmar energy sector.
With start-up funding from Rockefeller Foundation, and support from several high-profile entities, we are currently building a team of high calibre experts to design, develop and operate the Facility. Candidates will be passionate about energy as a driver of economic growth, and will have outstanding experience and credentials in a range of areas, including but not limited to: policy development and advocacy, investment facilitation, energy project development and demand creation at the community level, knowledge and data management. This position is open to qualified senior-level Myanmar nationals with relevant experience.
Pact seeks a passionate Energy Demand and Economic Development Director to lead the design and implementation of community-driven initiatives to increase demand generation and energy consumption at the household, business and community level in rural Myanmar. S/he will facilitate market/value-chain and microenterprise development by working with rural entrepreneurs, local implementation agencies and/or through Facility-led programmes to develop local technical capacity of individuals, business owners, self-help groups and communities.
S/he will work to advance financial inclusion for customers and help communities leverage new and existing financial tools to accelerate rural economic prosperity and (social) business development through productive use of electricity. The Energy Demand and Economic Development Director will work closely with the Facility’s Managing Director and Energy Services Director to facilitate knowledge exchanges with various stakeholders and build internal capacity to ensure that grassroots evidence is integrated into programmatic approaches for project development and business modeling. S/he will be part of SPMF’s team of energetic professionals who are results-oriented and dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in a challenging and diverse environment.
The Energy Demand and Economic Development Director will demonstrate exceptional performance in the following functional areas:
- Efficiently lead the implementation of community-based initiatives to stimulate and sustain electricity demand, i.e. through efficient appliances at household level, productive use of electricity for income-generating activities and/or public community use (i.e. medical facilities, schools)
- Provide technical support for the development, evaluation and adaptation of end-user financing mechanisms, micro-enterprise and demand-side development strategies unlocked by increased electricity access
- Stimulate dialogue and connections with and between local communities, implementation agencies, energy service companies, as well as other private-sector partners and civil society organizations
- Contribute to the development of relevant tools, briefs, and information products to develop community awareness of the Facility’s work, and the opportunity to use electricity access for increased rural livelihoods
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred in a relevant social science discipline; background in a STEMs discipline (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) will be considered an asset.
- 10+ years of experience designing, implementing, managing and evaluating community-level economic development programs, or other relevant experience.
- Proven ability to build partnerships with diverse international stakeholders – from grassroots communities to the government and international donors; high levels of diplomacy, cultural sensitivity and proven experience of trust-building in Myanmar or similar context. Strong preference for previous experience working in Myanmar.
- Experience stimulating (rural) development through business creation, market linkages, micro-enterprise support, capacity development, using user-centered design methodologies is highly advantageous.
- Commitment to live and work in Myanmar, incl. willingness to travel extensively in challenging conditions.
To apply, please visit https://bit.ly/2H9WiiB
Chief Financial Officer, SunCulture, Nairobi, Kenya
- Plan and manage the Organisation’s capital raising processes
- Identify and evaluate the different types of capital available to the Organisation. This is with the aim of selecting those that are most suitable
- Conduct detailed financial analysis and forecasts to inform the key strategic decisions to be made by senior management and the Organisation’s board
- Understand the different legal structures and accounting standards required to operate in different countries and optimise the Organisation’s structure accordingly
- Define and manage the Organisation’s financial KPIs
- Maintain constant awareness of the SunCulture’s financial position and outlook
- Develop reporting frameworks for senior management, the Board, investors and other key stakeholders
- Manage the Organisation’s grants and grant reporting
- Support good corporate governance with respect to finance to ensure SunCulture’s long-term success
- Oversee SunCulture’s audit and internal control structures, ensuring strict financial controls are in place and adhered to
- Coordinate all external audits
- Ensure that recommendations and corrections identified through audits are implemented
- Ensure that the Organisation complies with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Build, inform and act as an ambassador for the organisational culture, i.e. bring the fun to work
- Scale up the Finance team with support from the HR Manager
- Manage the performance of the Finance team in line with agreed KPIs
- Identify and develop the training required to contribute to the professional growth of the team
Desired Candidate Profile
Does this sound like you?
Technical and Operational Skills
- Experience in established organisations, and 3 – 5 years’ experience in rapid growth environments, i.e. building a new business
- Experience reporting to boards and other senior level stakeholder engagement
- Experience at raising debt and equity
- Experience in NGO and manufacturing organisations would be an advantage
- Investment banking / M&A experience
- Previously a Financial Controller, Director of Finance (or similar level), or CFO
- Formal accounting or finance qualifications, e.g. CFA, CIMA, CA, ACA
Personal Skills and Attitude
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to build and interpret financial models
- Experience designing and managing financial controls
- A solid understanding of the different types of capital available and their characteristics
- A solid understanding of credit and currency risk
- Highly motivated and self-starter
- Financially savvy and detailed oriented
- Strong analytical and strategic thinker
- Willing and able to make and execute hard decisions – own the process, own the strategy, own the outcomes
- Ability to manage a variety of large tasks with competing timelines and priorities
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills – ability to build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders (investors, grant providers, lenders etc.)
To apply, please visit https://goo.gl/zuWKLR